Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pet Travel and Government Regulations

Export: Take your pet from the United States to a foreign country.

pet travel
The United States has minimal requirements for animals to be exported to other countries.  (However, please be advised that there may be certain re-entry requirements if you plan to return to the United States with your pet.) If you are taking your pet out of the United States to another country, whether permanently or for a visit, you should do the following:

Import: Bring your pet into the United States from a foreign country.

  • Cats and Dogs
  • Pet Birds
  • Fish: There are restrictions for koi and goldfish based on spring viremia of carp and for other fish species that are susceptible to viral hemorrhagic septicemia.
  • Other Animals:  APHIS generally does not have animal health requirements for the importation of other non-livestock animal species, such as rodents or carnivores, provided they have not been inoculated with any pathogens for scientific or other purposes. Animals inoculated with pathogens for scientific or other purposes must be accompanied by an import permit (VS application form 16-3).  In addition, APHIS does not regulate the import of most reptiles, but there are exceptions.
Other government entities regulate the import of pets into the United States in certain circumstances and should be contacted.
Useful Links

Thanks USDA!

For more info and events, visit Pet Friendly North America!

No comments:

Post a Comment